Maintenance Technician - Oxnard
Cabrillo Economic Development Corporation (CEDC) develops and manages service enriched, inclusive residential communities, ensuring access to affordable, secure, quality housing that creates the foundation for our residents to grow and thrive.
An industry leader since 1981, CEDC has built 45 affordable housing developments totaling close to 1,700 ownership and rental units. It currently has an ownership interest in 1,137 rental units that it manages. CEDC has an annual operating budget of $6,750,000 and multiple projects in the early stages of development.
CEDC PROPERTY AND ASSET MANAGEMENT PHILOSOPHY
CEDC’s philosophy is that excellent property management is an essential part of its overall construction of affordable housing activities. CEDC provides a superior living environment for its residents. CEDC implements a team management approach to its work with particular coordination between its activities within its Property Management, Real Estate Development and Resident and Community Services Divisions.
The primary responsibilities of this Maintenance Technician position are to perform property maintenance functions at an affordable housing development. These responsibilities include, preventative maintenance, maintenance repairs, maintaining building systems in optimum condition, and ensuring that the exterior and common areas remain in excellent condition at all times.
This position requires technical knowledge and skills in more than one of the building trades; and is responsible for ensuring the safe and timely completion of overall maintenance and repairs to apartments, ensuring that the exterior and common areas are in excellent condition. The Maintenance Technician receives work assignments from the Resident Manager and is supervised by the Property Supervisor and/or the Property Management Director. The Maintenance Technician will work closely with the Resident Manager to complete the assigned work, or to supervise the work of contracted vendors for landscaping and other services on the property. Additionally, this position is responsible for review of all security issues, including lighting while responding to emergency maintenance requests that occur after business hours.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific job goals, objectives and tasks are established for each employee as part of the annual evaluation and work plan process by the Property Supervisor and Property Management Director. Major duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Perform general maintenance and repairs involving plumbing, electrical, drywall repair, painting, etc., in the apartments and common areas of this community.
• Timely completion of general maintenance and repairs in vacant apartments to prepare it for occupancy. This work may involve drywall repair and painting, other basic repairs, cleaning, etc.
• Ensure that common areas such as community room, offices, storage rooms, electrical rooms are maintained organized, and ensure that landscaping and parking lot areas are tidy to ensure curb- appeal at all times.
• Conduct daily property inspections on the exterior and interior common areas.
• Attend to and perform emergency after-hours maintenance and/or repair services for tenants.
• Assist Resident Manager during apartment inspections at move-in, move-out and bi-annual inspections.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and residents.
• Maintain a monthly inventory of maintenance supplies and equipment.
• Maintain apartment maintenance files and tracking logs related to maintenance procedures.
• Ensure that all maintenance equipment is in good working condition.
• Assist Resident Manager in daily walks of the property grounds, write down necessary corrections and/or repairs and follow-through to ensure that repairs and/or service is completed.
• Meet daily with the Resident Manager and regularly with the Property Supervisor.
• Work with vendors to obtain bids and quotes for services needed.
• Other duties as assigned by the Resident Manager and Property Supervisor.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) Preferred
• Proper work practices, methods and procedures in building and maintenance trades such as: electrical, carpentry, painting, plumbing, and safety procedures and precautions.
• Knowledge of proper tools, materials, and equipment used in the building and maintenance trades.
• General knowledge of preventative maintenance scheduling
• Ability to perform general apartment maintenance work and repairs
• Ability to safely operate equipment used in the building trades.
• Ability to work independently and analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
• Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with staff, vendors and residents in the performance of required duties.
• Enter information on Maintenance Work Orders after completion of maintenance and repair work.
• Ability to meet the physical requirements necessary to safely and effectively perform required job duties.
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to sufficient experience, training, and/or education to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above.
LICENSES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
A valid California driver’s License and proof of automobile liability insurance. Possession or ability to obtain
insecticide/hazardous material applications permit.
The incumbent of this position must be able to perform the following essential functions of this position:
• Walk, lift and carry up to 20 lbs.
• Climb ladders, bend, or crawl.
• Climb stairs within apartments.