Housing Development - Project Manager
Cabrillo Economic Development Corporation (CEDC) develops and manages service enriched, inclusive residential communities, ensuring access to affordable, secure, quality housing that creates the foundation for our residents to grow and thrive.
An industry leader since 1981, CEDC has built 45 affordable housing developments totaling close to 1,700 ownership and rental units. It currently has an ownership interest in 1,121 rental units that it manages. CEDC has an annual operating budget of $5,800,000 and multiple projects in the early stages of development.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Our successful Project Managers are knowledgeable in all aspects of affordable housing/real estate development, including the entitlement process and political positioning dynamics. Communication skills are essential in order to represent the project vision to completion while being sensitive to nay-sayers. The ability to multi-task several needs of each project while managing multiple projects and exercising a high degree of independence, motivation and accountability is crucial.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manage all phases of development including initial financial feasibility analysis, proformas, overseeing design development, securing all necessary financing, procuring and contracting with all third party consultants, overseeing construction efforts and timeline.
• Manage efficiently tasks necessary to obtain entitlements, including neighborhood design meetings, submission of entitlement applications, attendance at public hearings, and on-going coordination of the project design team.
• Coordinate with asset management, property management and resident services during predevelopment and construction to ensure smooth tenant relations.
• Perform site inspections and due diligence, evaluating and highlighting opportunities and risks.
• Organize, negotiate, coordinate, document and facilitate project partnership and land escrow closings.
• Formulate and execute strategy for successful applications in response to Requests for Proposals (RFPs).
• Initiate and maintain ongoing cordial professional relationships with outside entities and various stakeholders.
• Structuring and negotiating real estate development transactions and affordable housing finance including public subsidies, low income housing tax credits and tax exempted bonds; ability to creatively combine financing tools to leverage housing funds. Experience with acquisition/rehabilitation and portfolio rehabilitation preferred.
• Assist with department and organizational strategy to position CEDC as a preferred developer
• Minimum three (3) years of increasingly responsible project management work experience in the capacity of management level abilities/duties. Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, economics, business, public administration or other related fields.
• Extensive affordable housing and Low-Income Housing Tax Credit experience
• An entrepreneurial and creative approach to problem-solving in the field of real estate development; enthusiasm and team building spirit.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Excellent public presentation/speaking skills
• Ability to work with diverse community groups
• Problem solving, strategic thinking and analytical abilities
• Computer proficiency and familiarity with multiple software applications
• Wage Oversight (prevailing wage)
• Nonprofit housing experience
• Experience with resident councils or limited equity housing cooperatives
• Graduate level coursework/degree. Certified Project Manager Professional (PMP)
• State of California Department of Real Estate Broker’s License
• Sensitivity to the needs and concerns of low-income individuals
• Appreciation/respect of and commitment to the goals of Cabrillo Economic Development Corporation
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) written and verbal