Property Management Audit & Compliance Specialist Assistant
Cabrillo Economic Development Corporation (CEDC) is a community development corporation
serving Ventura, Santa Barbara and Los Angeles Counties. CEDC’s core program areas are the
development and construction of multi-family rental housing for very low, low, and moderateincome
families; homeownership education, counseling, loan packaging and lending; property
management; and community building and neighborhood revitalization.
An industry leader since 1981, CEDC has built 45 affordable housing developments totaling close
to 1,700 ownership and rental units. It currently has an ownership interest in 1,129 rental units
that it manages. CEDC has an annual operating budget of $5,800,000 and multiple projects in the
early stages of development.
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The Compliance & Audit Specialist Assistant (ACSA), is responsible to assist the Compliance
Specialist (ASC), with assigned compliance functions related to the Section 42 of the IRC, Section
8 guidelines, HFA (Housing Finance Agency) HOME, Rural Development, and other affordable
programs. Assisting Resident Managers with compliance needs is expected. This is a full-time
non-exempt position and reports directly to the Audit &Compliance Specialist and to the Director
of Property Management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, but are not limited to:
• Tracks the Annual Recertification process at each of the properties per the AR schedule
to ensure timely completion.
• Reviews AR weekly reports to assess AR progress.
• Communicates inconsistencies to the ACS, Regional Portfolio Supervisor, and the Director
• Assist the ACS in conducting post AR file review to ensure quality and accuracy.
• Assist the ACS in conducting audits resident files in preparation for State, Federal audits
• Logs received files for approval to track turn around approval process time.
• Reviews files for accuracy and completeness prior to forwarding ready files to the Audits
and Compliance Specialist. Files include but not limited to move-ins, first year
recertification, and interim RD files. Ultimately, after reasonable training and verification
of readiness, the ACSA should be able to provide final approval of eligibility of listed
• Provides a New Applicant Review Form to the ASC to show review findings and documentation on needed corrections.
• Assist leasing team with marketing and lease-up activities of new sites as it relates to occupancy requirements. Coordinates the approval of all resident move-in files during rent up process of new properties for accuracy and compliance with rent, utility allowances, income limitations and all other regulatory requirements, partnership agreements and public program requirements.
• Follows policies and procedures, (ex. Limited English Proficiency Plan, EIV Policies & Procedures) to ensure staff compliance with regulatory requirements relating to the set-up and ongoing maintenance of resident files and general project compliance.
• Assist in the completion of monthly submission of the USDA-RD rents through MINC.
• Follows all internal policy for submission of compliance related documents for various funding sources.
• Ensures that the department collects, summarizes and distributes Maximum Income Limits and Maximum Rent Limits for each funding source on an annual basis. Updates appropriate limit schedules in Yardi. Creates special income and/or rent limit charts and tracking systems as needed.
• Paper reviews and MINC submittal of all USDA-Rural Development (RD) interim re-certifications and annual certifications.
• Attends monthly CEDC Property Management meetings to review and report on compliance issues. Attends all regulatory (CTCAC, RD, HOME, HCD, HUD, CalHFA, among others), industry meetings and other regulatory agency meetings as required and appropriate.
• Collaborates on new procedures, and preparation in Compliance training, for current resident Managers, Assistance Resident Managers, and new PM staff.
• Respond to emails for compliance questions from staff and agencies under the guidance of the ASC and/or the PM Director.
• Collaborates on updating on coding waiting list according funding regulations.
• Responsible to update the reporting requirements calendar to ensure timely compliance.
• Checks on UA updates from Housing Authorities Agencies to ensure compliance to Tax Credit requirements.
• Assist on other projects related to compliance activities under the direction of the ASC.
• Provides additional support to the Property Management Department on special projects relating to overall company compliance and reporting activities.
• In conjunction with the Compliance & Audit Specialist, Property Management Director, Property Portfolio Supervisor and Human Resources, assists in providing staff training on compliance issues, re-certifications, and other legal monitoring requirements.
• In conjunction with the Compliance & Audit Specialist and administrative staff, ensures that all regulatory documentation, such as Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plans, Management Certifications, Rent Schedules, Tenant Selection Plans, CEDC’s Application, and other required documentation are kept up-to-date at all times.
• In conjunction with Accounting, ensures timely, accurate and complete compliance and reporting to all agencies, lenders, partners and investors. Develops monitoring, reporting and recordkeeping systems to ensure compliance.
OTHER SKILLS, ABILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Knowledge of HUD, HCD, CalHFA, USDA-RD and Tax Credit regulations.
• Knowledge of regulatory agreements and ability to interpret it.
• Working knowledge of applicable local, state and federal housing laws.
• Strong analytical, oral and written communication skills.
• Proven ability to conduct research, coordinate multiple projects, solve problems, prepare/update supporting documentation and maintain records.
• Effective interpersonal skills and ability to represent the company to government, financial institutions and other outside agency representatives.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team, to exercise tact and diplomacy and maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to work under pressure and successfully meet deadlines
• Excellent decision-making, interpersonal and time management skills.
• Computer literate. Proficient in Word and Excel. Experience with property management software (preferably YARDI).
• Must be able and willing to travel to all company locations to carry out duties and responsibilities associated with compliance and occupancy issues.
• Ability to handle shifting and multiple priorities in a fast paced, growth environment.
• Flexible, creative and well organized.
• Experience working with diverse groups, i.e. staff, residents, investors and outside contacts.
• Commitment to the companies’ goals and philosophy
SALARY & BENEFITS
CEDC offers a competitive salary. Our comprehensive benefits package includes health insurance coverage (either HMO or PPO), dental, vision, and life insurance. Other benefits include paid time off, specific paid holidays and an opportunity for enrollment in our 403(b) retirement plan.